In the northern Venetian lagoon, we find the island of Sant’Erasmo which lies between Murano, Burano and Punta Sabbioni. In the Middle Ages it had a certain importance as a port town serving the island of Torcello and Murano and in the same period its agricultural vocation began, fundamental to satisfy the food needs of Venice.
In the eighteenth century there was a drastic decrease of the population, less than 60 inhabitants in 1780, both for the lack of means of subsistence and for the periodic epidemics such as malaria.
After the end of the Republic, the island was involved in military works, batteries, deposits and forts, one of which is the Maximilian Tower erected between 1843 and 1844 commissioned by Archduke Maximilian of Austria and now arranged as a cultural and artistic space.
The particular island position and the fertile nature of the land, have determined the possibility to develop an agricultural-lagoon character, it is an island rich in vegetable gardens and vineyards, the typical first fruits in Venetian dialect are the “Castraure” that is the birth of the first artichoke of the plant.
The island of Mantine lives the cultivation of excellence where the agricultural products acquire from the brackish soil, a very special flavor, so the island produces from ancient vineyards a wine, called “Vin Salso”.
A peculiarity of the Island of Sant’Erasmo is the production of honey, where an artisan beekeeper produces various types. The beekeeper goes into the marshy and rich of vegetation places with its hives, in this way the bees pollinate artichoke and Barena flowers in the lagoon flora and produce an unobtainable honey called “Honey of Barena”.